Monday, April 23, 2007

May as well face facts

I'm not going to be able to get that stuff scanned any time soon. The school's computer labs - or, at least, those with scanners - are in use for exams right now, and are unavailable for the casual student. I'll have to get it done back home, where I will be heading for the summer in a week or so.

That said, regrettably, my own exams have proven highly time-consuming, and such reading as I've been doing has been limited to things that would help me thereupon. A rare exception: I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road today in the space of a few hours, in a spirit of idleness, but it is a book so wholly divorced from (even "opposed to") anything this blog is concerned with that I won't even bother going into it at any length. It was only sort of good, even then; I don't recommend it highly, though I don't warn against it, either. I'm told Mr. McCarthy has done better work, even if The Road did just win him a Pulitzer, and it was certainly well-enough done to make me want to see more before forming an opinion of him either way.

In any event, the final paper of my undergraduate career, submitted in a course on magic realism, surrealism and the fantastic, concerned Chesterton's impact on the Argentine writer Jorge Luis Borges. I have something of a bee in my bonnet about both of them, as I may have mentioned before, and as such this was a project to which I had been looking forward for a good long while. I was not wholly satisfied with the thing, but the instructor pronounced it excellent and gave it a good grade. I'd be happy to post it here, of course, if I could figure out how to get the footnotes and whatnot to carry over properly. Further experimentation is required.

Apart from that, I have little else to report. I finally got around to ordering some volumes of the complete GKC from Ignatius Press. It will be a large collection to build, but I have plenty of time.

I'm sorry I can't be more interesting right now. Three exams in the next seven days. I'll get back to you.

No comments: