Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sorry for the dearth of posting. Life has been fairly hectic.

My most-recent blog column is online at The Register (registration required). It’s about virility in the blogosphere. Among GKC's friends, I think Belloc would've been the most virile blogger, or maybe Eric Gill (just jokin').

From the intro of my column:

When you were a teenager, did you have a non-Bible ‘bible’ — a book you read and re-read, carried around with you, swore held the key to the universe if only more people would listen to what its author said?

Maybe your dog-eared oracle was Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance or Siddhartha or Catcher in the Rye or On the Road. Those books, perennial coming-of-age favorites to this day, were a bit too weighty for me.

My teenage bible was a book of pictures and anecdotes called The Manly Handbook. Who made America? “Real men,” it said, “like Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Teddy Roosevelt and Duke Wayne.”

Do you want to read manly books? Buy Mickey Spillane novels. Manly movies? Watch Dirty Harry, Death Wish, Hercules and the Captive Women and anything with John Wayne. Looking for manly recreation? “Kick down all the doors in your house,” advised The Manly Handbook, and “take a midnight stroll through the Bronx unarmed.” Manly occupation? Rodeo rider, bounty hunter, bartender, drill sergeant, mercenary, truck driver.

5 comments:

Dad29 said...

Since your article on 'virile' bloggers was subscription-only, I shot my computer.

E said...

That's too bad. I mentioned your blog as one of the manly ones out there.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, come on now, Eric Gill? Was that really necessary? *rolling of eyes*

Paul Pennyfeather said...

I try to be a manly librarian. When the kids get too loud I yell at them. Other than that, I can lift some really heavy dictionaries. And I'm more manly than the woman who preceded me. Really.

Dad29 said...

Well, then, I'll put away the 12-ga, locked and loaded, but safety on.

Thanks!