Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This Blog's Far-Ranging Reach

A reader from Spain writes:

"I want to say that this blog is amazing, and useful. And that I have a blog of my own, where I write about GKC and translate some of his writing. It is a Blog in Castellano. There I write and translate things of Belloc, Baring, Knox, Newmna, etc. Greetings again, and keep up the good work."

My Spanish is limited, but it looks like Mr. Portales doing good work over there.

A few years ago, I was having lunch with Dale Ahlquist (the GKC sex deity himself), and he said some folks in Spain wanted to launch a Spanish edition of Gilbert Magazine. I guess GKC has a good following over there (though you wouldn't know it, based on recent political events). I don't know what became of the Spanish Gilbert, but I'm sure Mr. Portales would enjoy it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I am not mistaken Mr. Portales is from Chile, not Spain.

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, the official language of Chile is Spanish.

E said...

Ah, you might be right. I figured "Castellano" referred to an area near the old Kingdom of Castile. But I see it's a variation of "Castilian" (as in "Castilian language"). I'd never heard Castilian referred to that way.

Kyro said...

I just had a flashback from college. Chileans refer to Spanish Language as Castillian, and use some of the language forms (vosotros) that are not used in most of the rest of Central/South America.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

There must be some Conquistador history tied up in that, though I don't know what it is. In Filipino, the word for Spaniard is still "Kastila."

Anonymous said...

Spain was a politica entity that came into being around 1492, formed by two kingdoms Castille, whose languague was Castellano and Aragón, whose language was catalán.(Much in the way England and Scotland formed one kingdom at the end of the 18th century). As Castille became increasingly dominanting within the "union", Castellano was eventually refered to as Spanish. As the conquistadores usually hailed from Castille, that was the patronym that stuck with the natives they encountered. In nahuatl (Aztec language) spanish is called "castilla"

Sean P. Dailey said...

yes, yes, all very nice, but what about a Spanish edition of GM?