Thursday, August 03, 2006

"The Flying Inn" Reconsidered

Hal G.P. Colebatch today reviews GKC's The Flying Inn at The American Spectator:
When I was a child going through my late father's library my maternal grandfather pointed out an old copy of G.K. Chesterton's The Flying Inn, published in 1914, and said: "That's a good story!" I wish now that Grandfather had lived long enough for me to talk to him about many things. I am not sure why he, Mayor, Member of Parliament, Knight, and general pillar of the community, with no sign I could detect of even my father's bohemian streak, thought this tale of rum-disbursing rapscallions in flight from the law was a good story, but I took him at his word and when I read it found out he was right. It is also curiously prophetic.
click here to read the entire review

No comments: