Thursday, July 06, 2006

More from Dawn Eden

The lovely Miss Eden continues to describe her journey into the Church, and her latest entry, besides being a delightful read in and of itself, has much in it that concerns our readers. Observe:
Back in December 1995, as I was doing a phone interview with Ben Eshbach, leader of the rock band Sugarplastic. I asked him what he was reading those days. His answer was Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.

The name G.K. Chesterton meant nothing to me. I assumed he was an author of quaint comedic British novels, like P.G. Wodehouse.

I bought The Man Who Was Thursday out of curiosity and was fascinated. Being a fan of Lewis Carroll from childhood, I was instantly sucked in by Chesterton's surreal plot twists, especially with the playful ways he would switch around the heroes and villains.

[. . .]

Reading Chesterton, it struck me for the first time that there was something exciting about Christianity. Up until then, I had been politically liberal and thought that Christians apart from my mom were a faceless mass of white-bread Moral Majority types who controlled the world. I wanted to be a rebel, and part of defining myself that was was to not be a Christian. Chesterton suggested to me that it was the other way around; Christians were the true rebels.
Be sure to read the whole thing, for it is surely worth it.

No comments: